$5.00 per person
The tangent galvanometer coupled with a compass is used to experiment with magnetic fields at the center of circular loops and to determine properties of the Earth’s magnetic field.
Topics and Objectives:
- Investigate the magnetic field at the center of a current-carrying loop of wire.
- Verify the right-hand rule for the field inside a current loop.
- Explore the vector nature of magnetic fields.
- Test the relationship between the current, the number of turns, and the magnetic field.
- Determine the strength of Earth’s magnetic field at the lab’s virtual location.
- Verify results using NOAA’s Geophysical Data Center and Google Earth.
- Tangent Galvanometer – User’s Guide (PDF)
- Magnetic Field Calculator at NOAA National Geophysical Data Center
August 31, 2019